Field Hockey: Trio of Wildcats earn Big Ten honors

Sophia+Miller+strikes+the+ball.+The+senior+defender+was+unanimously+named+to+the+All-Big+Ten+first+team+on+Wednesday.+
Sophia Miller strikes the ball. The senior defender was unanimously named to the All-Big Ten first team on Wednesday.

Daily file photo by Kate Salvidio

Daily file photo by Kate Salvidio

Cole Paxton, Copy Chief

Field Hockey

Senior defender Sophia Miller was unanimously selected to the All-Big Ten first team, the conference announced Wednesday.

Junior midfielder Puck Pentenga also received first-team recognition, while junior forward Pascale Massey was named to the second team.

Miller, who earned first-team honors last year, led a Wildcats back line that allowed only 35 goals in 19 games this season. In her second season anchoring Northwestern’s defense, she spearheaded a unit that has won more games than last year despite incorporating a new goaltender.

Miller, who has started 81 of the 84 games she has played in, also added a goal and had nine assists, good for third on the team.

Pentenga, NU’s primary offensive playmaker, leads the Big Ten in shots and assists. After a muted 2016, she has 10 goals and a team-leading 17 assists this season, and her 103 shots are nearly double the team’s next-highest mark.

Her 10 goals are second on the team, and she earned national player of the week honors in October after a hat trick against Iowa.

Massey, the Cats’ top returning scorer entering the season, tallied a team-leading 14 goals and added four assists. She had a hat trick against Michigan State in the regular season finale.

NU (14-5, 6-2 Big Ten), the No. 4 seed in the Big Ten Tournament, plays top-seeded Michigan (17-2, 8-0) on Friday in the semifinals.

Email: colepaxton2019@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @ckpaxton