Man arrested in connection with multiple felonies as result of 2 search warrants

Sophie Mann, Reporter

An Evanston man was arrested Tuesday in connection with multiple felonies as a result of two search warrants, according to a Thursday news release.

The first search warrant was executed at a residence in the 700 block of Custer Avenue due to an investigation of narcotics sales in the city, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said in the release. The 40-year-old was taken into custody during the search.

Cocaine, crack cocaine, what is suspected to be heroin and ecstasy, as well $3,831 in cash and a loaded gun were recovered, Dugan said. A police scanner and surveillance cameras showing a live feed of the inside and outside of the residence were also found, he said.

The second warrant was executed Wednesday night on the man’s storage locker in the 8000 block of McCormick Boulevard in Skokie, Dugan said. There, police found a loaded gun with the serial number destroyed.

The man was charged with multiple felonies: two counts of unlawful possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, two counts of unlawful possession of a controlled substance, two counts of being an armed habitual offender, one count of criminal fortification of a residence, one count of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and one count of unlawful use of a weapon with defaced serial number.

He was also charged with four counts of possession of ammunition or handgun without valid identification, a misdemeanor.

Twitter: @sophiemmann