New CrossFit training center plans grand opening Sunday

A+CrossFit+trainer+demonstrates+decline+pushups.+Owner+Tani+Mintz+said+her+new+studio%2C+Sharp+Edge+CrossFit%2C+will+have+its+grand+opening+on+Sunday.+

Andrew Seng/The Sacramento Bee/TNS

A CrossFit trainer demonstrates decline pushups. Owner Tani Mintz said her new studio, Sharp Edge CrossFit, will have its grand opening on Sunday.

Anamaria Sayre, Reporter

Tani Mintz said spaces where people can gather and feel welcome are hard to come by, a fact she kept in mind when opening her new CrossFit gym in Evanston.

Tucked away in a space at the corner of Dempster Street and Dodge Avenue — and directly across the street from another CrossFit studio — Sharp Edge CrossFit will hold its grand opening Oct. 15. Evanston officials approved a special use permit in June, according to city documents, and the studio held several classes this summer.

The grand opening will feature catering from a variety of local businesses, including The Lucky Platter, La Principal, Aloha Poke Co., Cupitol, Starbucks and Blind Faith Cafe. Mintz said this combination of food and “friendly” atmosphere will establish the gym as a center for the community.

“I just wanted to get as many people in the community who have been following my story and following my journey here involved and excited about it,” Mintz said.

Having competed in three Olympic Trials, Mintz said she wants to create a space for local residents to find community through working out — regardless of activity level or ability. Mintz also said she sees CrossFit as a space for people of all ages and backgrounds to gather.

Despite the general assumption that CrossFit is “intimidating,” Mintz said she hopes the new gym will convince people that the sport is meant for everyone.

Third-year Northwestern graduate student Liliana Hernandez said she has been involved with CrossFit for six months and has worked out with Mintz for the past two.

Hernandez said the gym has made a positive impact in Evanston by bringing people together and promoting a healthy lifestyle. The tight-knit group of 35 members kept her coming to the gym, she said.

“Mintz has created this amazing community where the athletes support each other in and outside the gym,” Hernandez said.

In the near future, Mintz said she wants to offer a fitness program for student-athletes in high school. She added she would like to attract more NU students to her gym and potentially host classes on campus.

Paul Zalmezak, Evanston’s economic development manager, told The Daily in May he was pleased with the way the new gym will fit into the location.

“The Dempster and Dodge corridor has really come around over the last couple years,” Zalmezak said. “(The CrossFit facility) would be a good complement to that area.”

Twitter: @anasayre