Chicago drag queens to speak at Evanston Public Library

Daily file photo by Leeks Lim

Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave. Library staff invited two Chicago drag queens to speak to Evanston’s LGBTQ teens on Oct. 11.

Amelia Langas, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston Public Library will host two Chicago drag queens Oct. 11 as part of its bimonthly program geared toward the city’s LGBTQ teens.

The drag queens, Muffy Fishbasket and Alexis Bevels, will talk about drag artistry, how they explore gender through art and their success in the Chicago drag scene, according to a Thursday news release.

The drag queens will connect with teens at a Teen Gender and Sexuality Alliance meeting, the news release said.

The alliance — which is geared toward Evanston’s LGBTQ teens — meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays of every month to educate attendees about queer culture, according to the news release.

“There really is no queer space in Evanston outside of the school’s gay/straight alliances,” said Kevin Kelley, a library assistant who helped organize the programming. “We want to provide that safe space for teens, and we’re letting them know that we are here for them.”

Twitter: @amelialangas