Communication faculty, alumna to be featured at Chicago International Film Festival

Ally Mauch, Assistant Campus Editor

Four School of Communication films will be featured at the 53rd annual Chicago International Film Festival next month, according to a Tuesday news release.

The film festival will feature work by Communication Profs. Kyle Henry and J.P. Sniadecki, and Communication lecturer Stephen Cone. Alumna Mina Fitzpatrick’s (Communication ’17) film will also be shown at the festival, pegged as “one of the most prestigious and long-running festivals in the nation,” according to the release.

Cone’s film, “Princess Cyd,” is a coming-of-age story that stars Northwestern alumna Jessie Pinnick (Communication ’16), according to the release.

“CIFF grows and strengthens every year and it means a lot to be selected from such a large pool,” Cone said in the release. “This movie, specifically, is a very deliberate love letter to Chicago, so it means an extra amount to be given a hometown premiere at our big hometown festival.”

Henry said he is excited for his film, “Rogers Park,” to premiere in its hometown. The movie follows the story of two middle-aged interracial couples in the Chicago neighborhood it is named after.

“My mission is to show the lives of people who aren’t seen in popular media,” Henry said. “What’s not seen is what I want to show, and it’s ‘ordinary’ people who are missing right now.”

The other two films — Sniadecki’s “El Mar La Mar” and Fitzpatrick’s “Wandervogel” — are both documentaries.

Twitter: @allymauch