Ex-Feinberg Prof. Wyndham Lathem returns to Chicago; meth found in stabbing victim’s autopsy

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

Former Northwestern professor Wyndham Lathem, arrested earlier this month in connection with the stabbing death of Trenton Cornell-Duranleau, arrived back in Chicago late Friday night, according to ABC Chicago.

Lathem had been held in a California jail since turning himself in on Aug. 4 in Oakland, which ended a weeklong manhunt that followed the July 27 stabbing of Cornell-Duranleau in Lathem’s North State Street Apartment.

But Chicago police have now successfully extradited both Lathem and Andrew Warren, a University of Oxford employee also wanted in connection with the same murder, ABC Chicago reported.

Police are working on scheduling a press conference in the coming days to give more information about the case and the charges Lathem and Warren are facing, CPD officer Thomas Sweeney told The Daily. Neither suspect was arraigned in California and police have not yet determined a date for their respective Chicago arraignments, Sweeney said.

Lathem was a renowned scientist studying plague-causing bacteria before he was fired from the Feinberg School of Medicine earlier this month. The manhunt captured national attention due to its length and their surprising behavior, including a donation to a Wisconsin library in the victim’s name, an apologetic video sent to friends and family and a voluntary surrender halfway across the country.

Cornell-Duranleau autopsy reveals methamphetamine in victim’s system

Source: Facebook
Trenton Cornell-Duranleau.

Autopsy results released recently for the murder victim, Cornell-Duranleau, revealed that the 26-year-old hairstylist had methamphetamine in his system at the time of the murder, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The autopsy was conducted by the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office and also found that Cornell-Duranleau was stabbed precisely 47 times, according to the Tribune.

According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, short-term methamphetamine use can lead to increased wakefulness and physical activity, irregular heartbeat and increased blood pressure, and long-term use can lead to violent behavior, paranoia and hallucinations, among other effects.

Cornell-Duranleau was buried last weekend in his home state of Michigan. He had been a hairstylist since 2011 and moved to Chicago more recently, the Tribune has reported; in a since-deleted obituary posted to Facebook, his mother described him as a “caregiver” with a “youthful free-spirit (sic).”

Twitter: @benpope111