Blotter: Chicago residents arrested in connection with retail theft, armed robbery

Sophie Mann, Reporter

A Chicago man and woman were arrested in connection with armed robbery and retail theft, respectively, in south Evanston on Monday afternoon, according to a news release.

Police were called to the Jewel-Osco on the 1100 block of Chicago Avenue after a retail theft that involved one of the offenders wielding a knife, the release said. When officers arrived, employees said the man and woman were observed putting three bottles of alcohol valued at $61.78 into their bags.

When confronted, the man opened a pocket knife and held it in front of his chest. The employees did not confront them further, fearing for their safety, according to the release.

Police found the individuals in the 900 block of Sherman Avenue and recovered both the alcohol and the knife.

The man was charged with armed robbery, and the woman was charged with retail theft, the release said. Both are felonies.

Woman arrested in connection with three misdemeanors

A woman was arrested in connection with three misdemeanors in downtown Evanston on Tuesday afternoon.

Police were told that the woman picked up lemon wedges on the counter of Panera Bread with her bare hands and put them back, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. When employees asked her to leave, she poured a cup full of coffee stirrers onto the floor before taking the cup and leaving.

Police located her on the 900 block of Davis Street after she left the Panera on the 1700 block of Sherman Avenue, Dugan said. She was charged with theft, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.

Twitter: @sophiemmann