Food vendors from Evanston, Chicago visit Deering Meadow for annual SpoonFest

Kate Salvidio/The Daily Northwestern

An employee prepares a crepe on Friday. Evanston and Chicago restaurants came to campus in an event to celebrate Spoon University NU chapter’s print magazine release.

Ally Mauch, Reporter

Despite the rainy weather Friday, many students swapped a dining hall for the food trucks and vendors on Deering Meadow for SpoonFest.

SpoonFest, an annual event hosted by Northwestern’s chapter of Spoon University, celebrated the release of the food publication’s print magazine. Medill sophomore Dani Grava said because Spoon University’s NU chapter only made one magazine this year, the group wanted to host smaller events throughout the week leading up to Friday’s event. Events earlier in the week included a yoga class, a sushi-making class and a screening of the movie “Chef” with discounted grilled cheeses from Evanston restaurant Cheesie’s Pub and Grub.

“Because this is our biggest issue, we decided to amp up the hype for SpoonFest, and we thought it would be a good way to get the word out (about SpoonFest),” said Grava, marketing director of Spoon University’s NU chapter.

Vendors included Evanston restaurants DB3 Donuts, La Cocinita and Tomate Fresh Kitchen. Students could also choose from Chicago vendors like Da Lobsta and Jeni’s Ice Cream. Some of the vendors — such as Gotta B Crepes — also have booths at the local Evanston farmers market.

Medill freshman Stella Kleynerman, a member of Spoon University’s NU chapter, said she attended the event to support Spoon and to try the variety of food options offered.

“You get to experience all the different restaurants that Evanston and Chicago have to offer without actually commuting anywhere,” Kleynerman said. “There’s a lot of variety to choose from.”

Lauren Goldstein, the NU chapter’s director of partnerships and special projects, said the group came up with the event as a way to bring the NU community together. Goldstein, who was part of the marketing team that started SpoonFest two years ago, said she also wanted to give students the opportunity to experience food that they might not always have access to.

“Chicago, Evanston and the North Shore in general have an awesome food scene,” Goldstein said. “I thought it was sad that Northwestern students didn’t really venture outside the walkable restaurants from campus.”

Twitter: @allymauch