The Graduate School dean to leave Northwestern, will serve as new provost of Emory University

Allyson Chiu and Erica Snow

The Graduate School Dean Dwight McBride will leave Northwestern to serve as Emory University’s provost and executive vice president of academic affairs, the University announced Wednesday.

McBride has served as the TGS dean since 2010 and led initiatives which resulted in “unprecedented progress” in recruiting students of color, the release said. Under McBride’s leadership, an Office of Diversity and Inclusion was established at TGS. His appointment to Emory University is effective beginning July 1.

“Community does not happen by accident, and each of you has made a contribution in great and small ways to ensuring that our community of thought leaders and scholars is truly an engaged, active, thriving body of some of the best and brightest academics I have had the pleasure of working with in my career,” McBride said in the release.

McBride could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

In addition to diversifying NU’s doctoral programs, McBride oversaw the creation of TGS’s Office for Academic Affairs, which maintains the excellence of degree programs, the release said. McBride was responsible for improving financial aid and academic support. He also worked to increase training grants and other sources of external funding for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.

According to the release, McBride is also currently the University’s associate provost for graduate education and a professor of African American studies, English and performance studies.

“Northwestern has benefited greatly from Dwight’s stewardship of a complex academic enterprise, his strong scholarly achievements and his untiring efforts to create a holistic student experience,” Provost Dan Linzer said in the release. “He will be very much missed by many.”

Twitter: @_allysonchiu

Twitter: @ericasnoww