Authorities find body of missing first-year student Mohammed Ramzan

Mariana Alfaro, Print Managing Editor

Authorities found the body of missing Northwestern student Mohammed Ramzan on Monday evening.

Ramzan, 19, went missing Monday morning after falling off a nine-person shell during a Northwestern men’s crew team practice. University spokesman Al Cubbage said police were notified around 7:40 a.m. about the incident.

In an email to students, vice president for student affairs Patricia Telles-Irvin said authorities recovered Ramzan’s body Monday evening from the North Shore Channel in Lincolnwood.

“We extend our deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathies to Mohammed’s family and friends for this tragic loss, which affects us all,” she said in the email.

Ramzan was a first-year student from Auburn, Washington, Telles-Irvin said. In addition to the crew team, he was involved with the Freshman Urban Program and the Northwestern Quest Scholars Network.

After the student fell into the water, a coach in a motorized launch vehicle nearby and a team member went into the water to try to rescue him, Cubbage said.

Lincolnwood fire chief Michael Hansen said the two men who attempted to rescue the student were taken to a hospital for non-life threatening injuries. A fireman at the scene was also taken to a hospital after getting injured during the search, Hansen said.

The NU men’s crew team had started practice Monday morning at the Skokie Park District Rowing Center on the corner of Oakton Street and McCormick Boulevard.

Cubbage said the crew team is a club team, and has been operating since the 1980s with no serious incidents during that time.

Search and rescue efforts were led by Illinois State Police, Cubbage said.

This story was updated at 12:50 a.m. with new information. 

Twitter: @marianaa_alfaro