Blotter: Man charged with battery after grabbing officer’s arm

David Fishman, Assistant City Editor

Officers were dispatched early Sunday morning to Bar Louie, 1520 Sherman Ave., after the establishment refused to allow two intoxicated people entry.

After the officers arrived at 12:30 a.m., the subjects caught a cab and headed home, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. A short time later, the cab driver flagged down an officer at the intersection of Grove Street and Ridge Avenue and stated that the subjects were not cooperating.

As the officer spoke to one individual, the other — a 44-year-old man — grabbed the officer’s arm and attempted to pull him into the car, Dugan said. The officer gave verbal commands to let go, but the man refused. The officer then struck the man once in the nose and his arm was released. Dugan said that individual was taken into custody and charged with battery.

He will appear in court on March 1.

Woman charged with domestic battery after kicking man in downtown Evanston

Police responded Friday to a report of domestic battery in downtown Evanston.

At about 4:45 p.m., Dugan said, someone called to report a female battering a male on the sidewalk in the 800 block of Church St. When officers arrived, they found a 31-year-old female and a 34-year-old male sitting down. The female denied wrongdoing and the male did not speak, but officers observed both swelling and a cut on the left eye of the male. The male was crying and appeared to be upset, Dugan said.

After the female walked away, the male told officers he had been kicked in the face, but did not wish to press charges, Dugan said. An officer then located the female, took her into custody and charged her with domestic battery, as per a law which mandates arrest if police have evidence that such an incident occurred.

She will appear in court on Feb. 15.

Twitter:
@davidpkfishman