Men’s Basketball: Aaron Falzon to miss remainder of 2016-17 season

Daily file photo by Sam Schumacher

Aaron Falzon looks to pass. The sophomore forward will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery.

Garrett Jochnau, Sports Editor

Sophomore forward Aaron Falzon will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery, the program announced Sunday.

The forward is eligible for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him to retain three more years of eligibility beginning next year.

“We all feel badly for Aaron,” coach Chris Collins said in a news release. “We were looking forward to him being a big part of our team this season. He already is on the road to recovery and we look forward to getting him back on the court and being a central piece of our program for the next three years.”

After starting most his freshman year, Falzon played limited minutes in the Wildcats’ opening three games this season as he battled his injury. His starting role was filled by the return of sophomore forward Vic Law, who had missed the 2015-16 season due to an injury of his own. Falzon will have the opportunity to reclaim playing time next year after senior forwards Sanjay Lumpkin and Nathan Taphorn graduate.

Before the announcement, Collins said that the team would play it safe with Falzon and was primarily concerned with his ability to contribute going forward.

“I hate it for him because he wants it so badly, and he knows he can help,” Collins said earlier in December. “We just don’t want to throw him out there if he’s not ready to help us. … We just want to be conservative with him and make sure we’re taking the long-term approach to his career.”

Twitter: @GarrettJochnau