Republican House challengers concede to Illinois Democrats from Evanston

Kristina Karisch and Ryan Wangman

Republican candidate for Congress Joan McCarthy Lasonde said her fight wasn’t over as she conceded to U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) Tuesday night.

Voting results provided by the Chicago Board of Elections and Cook County Clerk David Orr had Lasonde losing to Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) by about 60 percentage points in Chicago and 20 percentage points in the suburbs on Tuesday evening. Despite the loss, Lasonde said she will continue fighting for 9th District residents.

At a campaign event Tuesday night, Lasonde said that despite losing the election, her fight was not over.

“Tonight we concede the election, but it’s not over,” Lasonde said. “I, with all of you, will spend the next two years holding Schakowsky accountable for her actions. We will make Schakowsky explain what she is doing in D.C.”

Lasonde, whose campaign emphasized national security, limited government and economic growth and opportunity, thanked her supporters for their dedication to her cause. Her campaign raised about $200,000 throughout the duration of the 13 months she was actively campaigning, deputy campaign manager T.J. Brown told The Daily.

Republican candidate for 18th Illinois House district Jessica Tucker also conceded her race to Democratic opponent Rep. Robyn Gabel (D-Evanston) Tuesday night. Tucker lost to Gabel by about 28 percentage points, according to results from the Cook County Clerk’s office.

She said during her campaign, she was focused on highlighting relevant issues in her district. After her loss, she said she wanted to continue be a voice for the voters rather than politicians or a party.

Tucker’s intern manager, Bienen sophomore Grant Papastefan, said he was unsure about how to feel as the race was being called. He said he was aware how tough the race would be in this particular district. He said throughout Tucker’s campaign, interactions with voters have been overwhelmingly positive.

“When we can reach people, it goes extremely well,” said Papastefan, a former Daily staffer.

Talking over issues with voters went well for the campaign, he added, even with those who had previously voted along party lines. He said he found people to be open to Tucker’s campaign and person, regardless of political leanings.

Regardless of the outcome, Tucker remained in good spirits throughout the night.

“I feel like it’s a win-win,” Tucker said.  “Because even if I don’t win the election I feel like I’ve won the hearts of many voters and that they’ve won my heart because I love this district.”

Twitter: @ryanwangman