Chicago resident charged with three felonies in connection with IHOP shooting incident

Jerry Lee, Summer Managing Editor

A 29-year-old Chicago resident was charged with three felonies Thursday in connection with a shooting that took place early Sunday morning.

At approximately 5:05 a.m. Sunday, Evanston police officers were dispatched to the parking lot of the IHOP in the 100 block of Asbury Avenue after being notified of a person shot, according to a news release from Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan.

Before the shooting incident, members of the Neighborhood Enforcement Team had been conducting an ongoing narcotics investigation involving Cornelius Jones, who resides in the 7500 block of North Ridge Avenue in Chicago, according to the news release. Jones was positively identified by witnesses as someone in connection with the incident on Sunday and was taken into custody following a search at his residence at approximately 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.

A subsequent search revealed both a loaded handgun and cannabis, according to the news release.

Officers were notified upon arrival that the 25-year-old male who was shot had walked into the emergency room of St. Francis Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds, according to the news release. The man has since been treated and released from the hospital.

After reviewing the case, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s felony review unit approved Thursday the felony charges of aggravated battery, aggravated discharge, and unlawful use of a weapon, along with a misdemeanor charge of unlawful possession of cannabis, according to the news release.

Twitter: @JaewookJerryLee