Police have no leads or suspects after Friday shooting

David Fishman, Assistant Summer Editor

A 17-year-old boy was shot in the leg Friday afternoon, to which Evanston police said they have no leads or suspects.

Officers responded to a call at 12:25 p.m. in the 1600 block of Monroe Street when Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said they found the boy with a gunshot wound to his right calf. Paramedics subsequently transported the boy to Presence Saint Francis Hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries, Dugan said.

Upon arriving at the scene, Dugan said officers blocked traffic between Dewey and Florence Avenues for about 45 minutes to process the area. Dugan added that detectives had discovered a trail of blood which led to a nearby residence, but could not find a gun. The occupants in the house were acquaintances of the boy, Dugan said, but he did not know if they were being investigated as suspects.

Dugan said the boy provided “sketchy” details of the incident.

“He told the officers that he was on the street when he was shot,” Dugan said. “He indicated he thinks they ran southbound, but could not provide a description.”

Local residents said they hadn’t heard any gunshots, Dugan said. Following the incident, he said detectives would reinterview the victim, re-canvas the area and review private cameras that may provide additional clues.

Twitter: @davidpkfishman