Evanston Police Department makes two separate handgun arrests in the past week

Rishika Dugyala, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston Police Department Special Operations Group made two handgun arrests in separate incidents last Wednesday and Friday.

According to an EPD news release, detectives stopped a vehicle for a minor traffic violation at approximately 10:39 p.m. Wednesday in the 800 block of Ridge Avenue. While speaking with the front seat passenger of the vehicle, the detectives noticed his nervousness and the smell of burnt marijuana.

During the investigation, the 21-year-old Evanston resident told a detective he had a handgun in his pocket, which the officer then recovered along with about two grams of marijuana, EPD said in the release. The passenger was then transported to the police station and charged with one felony count and three misdemeanor counts, including the unlawful use of a weapon and possession of cannabis.

The second incident occurred around 12:07 a.m. Friday in the 2100 block of West Howard Street in Chicago. Detectives, who were on stationary patrol, heard several shots being fired from the 7600 block of Ridge Boulevard in Chicago, according to the release.

Detectives observed a vehicle traveling northbound at a high speed on Ridge Boulevard, approaching Howard Street. They then stopped the vehicle and saw the rear seat passenger throw a dark object outside the vehicle. Detectives retrieved the item, which was discovered to be a loaded, semi-automatic handgun.

The 30-year-old Chicago resident was taken into custody and transported to the police station. He was charged with two felony counts and one misdemeanor count, including the unlawful use of a weapon.

Twitter: @rdugyala822