The Mowgli’s set to open Dillo Day

Source: The Mowgli's on Facebook

The Mowgli’s play in Texas. The band will open Dillo Day, Mayfest announced Thursday.

Emily Chin, Assistant A&E Editor

The rock band The Mowgli’s will open Dillo Day this year, Mayfest announced Thursday night.

The Mowgli’s, an alternative rock band, released their first major label album “Waiting For The Dawn” in 2013. They are known for their singles “San Francisco” and “I’m Good.”

“They’re incredibly different from the (artists) we’ve already announced,” said SESP senior Elisa O’Neal, a Mayfest spokeswoman. “This band would fulfill the music genre that’s missing from our lineup. They have an upbeat sound that can be described as kind of celebratory.”

Each year, Mayfest tries to create a diverse lineup that appeals to students’ diverse tastes in music, said Mayfest spokesman Ben Bass. The Mowgli’s indie pop sound appeals to students who may not be as into Anderson .Paak and ScHoolboy Q, who will also perform at Dillo Day, the Communication junior said.

O’Neal described The Mowgli’s as a “jam band” because their musical style encourages audience participation. She said their style of music is one that appeals to everyone, even students who aren’t as familiar with their work.

“When students show up at the Lakefill, they’re really interested in participating, not just watching a performance, which is something that we really look for in an artist,” she said.

The Mowgli’s upbeat and positive music is a good fit for a Dillo Day performance, said Yumiko Mannarelli, Mayfest director of concerts. What set The Mowgli’s apart from other potential bands to perform at Dillo Day was the large size of their band, with seven people, Mannarelli said.

“Their music is centered around positivity and community and I think that’s kind of what Mayfest is trying to do, is bring everyone together on Dillo Day,” the Communication junior said. “So hopefully this will work to bring everyone together.”

Dillo Day will take place May 21.

Twitter: @emchin24