ScHoolboy Q to headline Dillo Day

ScHoolboy+Q+performs+in+Los+Angeles.+The+rapper+will+headline+Dillo+Day%2C+Mayfest+announced+Sunday.+

Source: ScHoolboy Q on Facebook

ScHoolboy Q performs in Los Angeles. The rapper will headline Dillo Day, Mayfest announced Sunday.

Emily Chin, Assistant A&E Editor

Rapper ScHoolboy Q will perform at Dillo Day this year as the festival’s headliner, Mayfest announced Sunday night.

ScHoolboy Q, whose real name is Quincy Matthew Hanley, dropped his first mixtape, “ScHoolboy Turned Hustla,” in 2008. Since then, he has released three albums: “Setbacks” in 2011, “Habits & Contradictions” in 2012 and “Oxymoron” in 2014.

“What you get is a lot of more classic rapping, more tighter rhymes, the style of rap that a lot of people really enjoy at shows,” said Mayfest spokeswoman Elisa O’Neal. “Not everyone is really into rap, but because of the singles and the amount of music that he’s put out that is widely popular that’s broken out of rap circles, we’re excited about what he’ll bring to the stage.”

The rapper has also collaborated with artists such as Kendrick Lamar, Chris Brown, A$AP Rocky and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. He also worked with Anderson .Paak, another Dillo Day artist, on the single “Am I Wrong.”

O’Neal, a SESP senior, said ScHoolboy Q’s collaborations with other artists will make him more recognizable to students, even if they aren’t as familiar with a lot of his work.

“One benefit of artists within this genre is having the benefit of being featured in another artist’s music,” O’Neal said. “Not only has he had a critically acclaimed album, but he’s been on a lot of other popular artists’ songs.”

Communication junior Yumiko Mannarelli, Mayfest’s director of concerts, said she thinks students will respect the fact that ScHoolboy Q has worked with so many well-known artists in the past, and many students will recognize his name. She said she wanted to bring a headliner who has well-known hits, but also can perform newer material. ScHoolboy Q released his newest single, “Groovy Tony,” in April and will be releasing a new album soon.

“Some of his tracks are still so relevant despite how long ago they came out, and I think that speaks to just how incredible of an artist he is,” Mannarelli said. “We’re not going to bring someone who’s a one-hit wonder. As a headliner he’s an incredible choice because of the things he’s done in the past, the people he’s worked with and the places he’s going to go.”

Part of what Mayfest looks for when choosing a headliner is an upbeat stage presence and a name students can recognize, and ScHoolboy Q meets that criteria, Mayfest spokesman Ben Bass said.

“He’s going to bring a very energetic vibe to the festival, a very exciting and high-energy vibe to close out this year,” the Communication junior said.

Dillo Day will take place May 21.

Email: [email protected].edu
Twitter: @emchin24