Hip-hop duo Rae Sremmurd will play A&O Ball

Rae+Sremmurd+performs+in+March.+The+rap+duo+will+perform+at+A%26O+Ball+on+April+29%2C+A%26O+Productions+announced+Wednesday.+

Source: Rae Sremmurd on Facebook

Rae Sremmurd performs in March. The rap duo will perform at A&O Ball on April 29, A&O Productions announced Wednesday.

Mark Duanmu, Reporter

Rap duo Rae Sremmurd will headline A&O Ball on April 29, A&O Productions announced Wednesday.

The southern hip hop group is known for its singles “No Type” and “No Flex Zone,” both released in 2014. Its 2015 debut album, “SremmLife,” reached No. 5 on the U.S. Billboard 200.

“A lot of students look forward to A&O Ball every year, and we have always tried to make it as fun of an event as possible,” said Weinberg junior Ben Shear, A&O’s head of concerts. “We think the artist we chose would appeal to the majority of the student body and definitely put on a fun show.”

This year’s concert is co-sponsored by For Members Only, NU’s black student alliance. A&O has not yet announced the opening act, but an announcement will come within a few days, according to a news release.

The show will be held at Chicago’s Riviera Theatre. Ball has historically been considered A&O’s premier annual event, said McCormick senior Danny Brennan, co-chair of A&O.

Shear said A&O chose the duo after it polled well in a student survey.

“We always want our artists to have universal appeal,” said A&O spokeswoman Caroline Fearon, a Communication senior. “It’s always a mix between polling high in the student poll and affordability.”

SESP junior Cari Chambers, FMO’s coordinator, said FMO sponsored Ball in lieu of its usual spring concert.

She said the duo appeals to both black students and the larger student body.

“Rae Sremmurd is fun and new and relevant right now, so we’re really excited to have them,” said Chambers, who also serves as FMO’s vice coordinator of programming.

Tickets will be available for $10 each at the Norris Box Office starting Thursday at 10 a.m.

This story was updated at 3:30 p.m. 

Twitter: @mduanmu