University creates diversity-focused grant, award

Shane McKeon, Campus Editor

Northwestern has created two new programs to promote diversity at the University, offering faculty thousands of dollars in awards and grants.

A grant program will offer funding expected to range from $2,000 to $25,000 for proposals that will “enhance our missions of education and research through improved diversity and inclusion,” according to a news release.

Faculty’s ideas should be “pioneering and innovative,” according to the release, and proposals that will improve faculty recruitment, hiring and retention are “especially welcome.”

“Northwestern is a place where both students and faculty are encouraged to connect the community and engage with the world,” Provost Dan Linzer said in the release. “These awards and grants are designed to celebrate and further faculty innovation to support these efforts.”

Two $5,000 awards will be given to “exemplar individuals or groups who are working collaboratively to build a more diverse, inclusive and equitable climate,” according to the release.

Faculty nominees should have led some project or initiative that promoted diversity or inclusion related to some sort of identity, such as “gender identity, political affiliation, disability and more” according to the release.

Nominations and proposals must be submitted by Oct. 1. Selections will be announced by mid-November.

Twitter: @Shane_McKeon