Police Blotter: Employees at home for adults with autism charged with endangerment

Jeremy Margolis, Reporter

Two employees at an Evanston home for adults with autism were arrested and charged with endangerment Saturday in connection with burns suffered by a 21-year-old female resident, police said.

The woman — a resident of Rimland Services, 1265 Hartrey Ave. — was being treated at Presence Saint Francis Hospital on Jan. 31 when the burns were discovered and reported to police, said Evanston Police Department spokesman Perry Polinski.

Her caretaker — a 21-year-old Skokie woman — was one of the employees charged. She told police she stepped away from the shower momentarily and the woman turned up the water temperature, which she said explained the burns, Polinski said.  

A 55-year-old nurse was also charged. It is unclear exactly where she was at the time of the incident, Polinski said.  

Both women were scheduled to appear in Skokie court Monday.  

$5,000 necklace reported stolen from Hilton Orrington

A 46-year-old New York woman reported that a necklace valued at $5,000 had been stolen from her room at the Hilton Orrington/Evanston hotel, 1710 Orrington Ave., police said.

The gold and diamond necklace had been in a cardboard jewelry box on a desk in the room and was taken sometime between Sunday and Monday mornings, Polinski said.

Twitter: @jeremyrmargolis