Comedy group to perform improvisation with a splash of technology in “Control Alt Mee-Ow”

Aleah Matthews-Runner/The Daily Northwestern

Northwestern’s Mee-Ow Comedy group will present “Control Alt-Mee-Ow” this weekend. The theme of technology is incorporated in the set of the show.

Juliet Freudman, Reporter

A&E

Comedy group Mee-Ow is set to debut its first main stage production this year from the inside of a makeshift computer.

The set design, lighting and props will habituate into a haven of technology for Mee-Ow’s “Control Alt Mee-Ow” this weekend, providing a modernistic venue for the performance to unfold, show director Natalie Rotter-Laitman said.

“The theme Ctrl Alt Mee-Ow will explore themes of technology, innovation, keyboards, mouses, screens,” the Communication senior said.

Nine members of Mee-Ow will perform a mix of written sketches and improvisation, said Communication senior Jack Olin, the other show director. He added that preparation for “Ctrl Alt Mee-Ow” began in the fall with improvisation practice and increased after winter break.

Mee-Ow was founded as a comedy troupe in 1974 by a group of students rejected from the Waa-Mu show, Olin said. Today, the group defines themselves as “one-third improv comedy, one-third sketch comedy and one-third rock and roll.”

Although Mee-Ow performs shows throughout the year, its two main stage productions during Winter Quarter are unique in that they feature a full band that performs the group’s signature “one-third rock and roll.” In “Control Alt Mee-Ow,” a band accompanies the comedians throughout the performances.

Many of Mee-Ow’s shows are intended to provide humor, but the group also focuses on highlighting conversations and issues affecting the NU community, Olin said. In the past, the group has performed sketches related to race and sexuality, he added.

“Comedy is a really cool way to talk about some things from a perspective that gives more freedom to be honest,” Olin said. “It’s a good way to talk.”

Mee-Ow’s shows are active conversations with the audience as the group involves attendees in certain sketches or dances with audience members, Olin said. Communication sophomore Devon Levy, the producer, said she has enjoyed working with the cast and 31 crew members.

“I like that it’s a show the cast gets to write themselves instead of following a script that someone else makes,” she said.

She added this year’s show is timed perfectly because with shorter days and colder weather, people need some cheering up.

“In this dark period known as Winter Quarter, people find something in the show to laugh about or to make their lives a little easier,” she said. “It can get people out of the class mindset and the social mindset and get them to laugh about something else.”

Twitter: @girlwhojumped