Football: Seniors Nick VanHoose, Dean Lowry lead the way as defense returns to form

Bobby Pillote/ Daily Senior Staffer

Senior cornerback Nick VanHoose brings down a Nebraska player with some help from sophomore safety Godwin Igwebuike. VanHoose’s interception-return touchdown in the second quarter was one of Northwestern’s key plays in a 30-28 victory.

Bobby Pillote, Gameday Editor

Football

LINCOLN, Nebraska — Despite a wacky day from the offense, Northwestern pulled out a hard-fought win on the road thanks in part to a return to normalcy from the defense. The Wildcats lost their past two games by a combined 78-10, and senior leaders cornerback Nick VanHoose and defensive end Dean Lowry took that to heart.

Lowry dominated the trenches, sacking Nebraska quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. twice and recording an NU-record six total tackles for loss, while VanHoose snagged an interception — the lone turnover of the game — and ran it back for a critical touchdown.

“It’s pretty cool,” Lowry said of the record, “but I think it’s more of a team effort. The offensive line was more focused on guys like (junior linebacker) Jaylen Prater, and that allowed me to be open and make some plays.”

The duo played well during a long day for the defense, with the Cornhuskers absolutely dominating the time of possession battle by holding the ball 39 out of the game’s 60 minutes. NU faced a total of 87 offensive plays, while its own offense ran just 56.

But aside from some long third down conversions, the Cats never looked gassed. Nebraska running back Terrell Newby carried 16 times for just 52 yards, and Armstrong was held to 291 yards on a hefty 49 pass attempts.

The defensive performance also included a crucial pass break-up on the potential game-tying two-point conversion with four minutes left in the game.

“We gotta win. We gotta find a way to win,” VanHoose said of his mindset during the play. “(Sophomore cornerback) Marcus (McShepard) was struggling a little bit, but he was resilient and he made a great play.”

VanHoose and Lowry both said preparation was a key factor in how they played. VanHoose noted the defense had practiced against the set Nebraska ran for its two-point attempt, while Lowry mentioned he and other veterans were critical in setting the tone in practice after a blowout loss to Iowa.

All the players downplayed the significance of reaching bowl eligibility, but the importance of a sixth win in October after two straight 5-7 seasons is obvious.

“Nick and Dean are consistent players,” coach Pat Fitzgerald said. “Both those guys played outstanding, and you need that from your seniors this time of year.”

Twitter: @BobbyPillote