Police Blotter: April 30

Paige Leskin, Managing Editor

Five cars burglarized, one car stolen in west Evanston

A car was stolen and five others were rummaged through in west Evanston in a series of incidents police believe are related, officials said.

The incidents took place on Ridgeway Avenue and Colfax Street between 6 p.m. Monday and 6 a.m. Tuesday, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The stolen car was a 2010 Ford Escape. The owner did not know if the car was left unlocked, but the person was able to take the car because the keys were left in the center console, Dugan said.

Two of the car’s doors were damaged, likely because the person used tools to break into them, police said. The other three cars were left unlocked, Dugan said.

While four car owners told police nothing had been taken from their cars, one owner reported that an iPod, a set of work keys and $4 in loose change were missing, Dugan said.

Wii gaming system stolen Friday

A man was seen on a surveillance camera Friday taking a Nintendo Wii gaming system from a building’s game room, police said.

The manager of a building in the 1800 block of Maple Avenue told police Tuesday that someone had stolen the gaming system, valued around $300, Dugan said.

A video surveillance camera on the fourth floor showed a man putting the Wii in its original packaging in his backpack, Dugan said.

Detectives are investigating the incident, police said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin