Evanston woman charged with three felonies after reportedly scratching, biting police officer

Paige Leskin, Managing Editor

Police arrested a 36-year-old woman Friday in connection with attacking and throwing a bleach bottle at an Evanston police officer, authorities said.

The Evanston woman was charged with two counts of felony aggravated battery and one count of felony resisting arrest, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

An officer responded to the 1500 block of Dempster Street around 11:30 p.m. Friday to reports a car parked on the street was playing “excessively loud” music, Dugan said. The officer discovered two women sitting in the car with an open container of alcohol, Dugan said.

When the officer checked the car’s registration, it came back as suspended due to an insurance violation, police said. In that situation, police confiscate the license plates and send them to the Illinois secretary of state, Dugan said.

The two women then exited the car, Dugan said, and one started yelling at the officer. The 36-year-old woman then threw a bottle of liquid bleach at the officer, striking him in the arm, Dugan said.

The officer tried to arrest the woman but she resisted, scratching him on the face and arms with her fingernails and trying to bite him, Dugan said.

Other officers arrived at the scene and helped arrest the woman, police said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin