Police Blotter: April 3

Paige Leskin, Managing Editor

Woman charged with retail theft, possession of drug paraphernalia

Police arrested a 28-year-old woman Tuesday in connection with retail theft at a Home Depot in Evanston, officials said.

The woman from Niles, Illinois, was charged with retail theft and possession of drug paraphernalia, both misdemeanor offenses, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Officers responded Wednesday night to Home Depot, 2201 Oakton Street, where the store’s loss prevention officer said a woman had tried to leave without paying, Dugan said. The woman tried to walk out of the store with three gallons of paint, totaling about $140 in value, police said.

During the woman’s arrest, police discovered in her possession a pipe used for inhaling narcotics, Dugan said.

Car dented after altercation early Thursday

Police responded early Thursday morning to a report that an Evanston woman’s car had been damaged, Dugan said.

An Evanston resident in the 2300 block of Foster Street saw two women she knew play fighting near her van — parked in the street in front of her house — a little after 12:30 a.m. Thursday, police said. One of the woman pushed the other into the car, causing a dark scratch, Dugan said.

By the time officers got to the scene, the women who had been play fighting had left, Dugan said. Police are currently trying to get in touch with those women, he added.

Twitter: @paigeleskin