Men’s Basketball: Wildcats stare down Golden Gophers with newfound determination

Daily file photo by Sean Su

Sanjay Lumpkin goes for the dunk. The sophomore forward is looking to adopt a scrappier approach to his game.

Bobby Pillote, Assistant Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball

Late in the season, Northwestern has forged a new identity.

Bolstered by the reemergence of sophomore forward Sanjay Lumpkin and the return of sophomore forward Nathan Taphorn, plus the adaptation of a 2-3 zone defense, the Wildcats (11-14, 2-10 Big Ten) are still riding the high from their upset victory over Iowa on Sunday.

And the Cats are ready to head to Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Wednesday to take on the Golden Gophers (16-10, 5-8).

“(Minnesota) is playing really well right now,” coach Chris Collins said. “They’re very confident, they’re a veteran team … and it’s a tough place to play. We know we’re going to have to play really well to come away with the win.”

Lumpkin has had a quiet season for NU statistically, averaging just 5.1 points and four rebounds per game, but the Minnesota native is likely to play a big role in any success the Cats have. Collins said Lumpkin was instrumental against the Hawkeyes in overtime, taking hard fouls in the paint to put poor free throw shooters on the line.

The coach also praised Lumpkin for a newly adopted hard-nosed attitude, saying the forward’s biggest contributions will never show up in the box score.

“I talked to coach, and he said I needed to be the junkyard dog for this team,” Lumpkin said. “I feel like I got away from it a couple games this season, but I’m back doing it.”

Taphorn also had a big moment against Iowa. Having missed the previous seven games with a foot injury, he eased back into action against the Hawkeyes but was in the right place at the right time when he made a 3-pointer with 45 seconds left in regulation to give NU a 2-point lead.

He also starred out of the spotlight as the Cats’ inbounder, avoiding turnovers against the full-court press and successfully navigating the pressure Iowa applied in the second half. It’s a skill Taphorn will be called on to use against Minnesota, which leads the conference in steals with 10.5 per game.

“No,” Taphorn said when asked if he’s worried about the defensive pressure. “I’m confident that our guys can take care of the ball.”

He and Lumpkin drew many individual accolades for their play against Iowa, but the day truly belonged to NU’s 2-3 zone defense. It’s a look the Cats have gone to for spurts this season, but Collins had his defense locked in that set for almost the full 45 minutes Sunday and reaped the benefits, with his squad holding the Hawkeyes to 32 percent shooting from the field and blocking a ridiculous 12 shots.

The zone is especially viewed as a boon for junior Alex Olah. The center said after the game Sunday that it allowed him to better see the court, and Collins added it was very beneficial to keep Olah in place near the basket as a rebounder and rim protector. But the coach was very coy about his intentions with the zone going forward.

“I don’t know,” he said, suppressing a smile, when asked if NU was now a 2-3 team. “Call me Boeheim Jr., I guess.”

If the Cats do come out in a zone again, it will be against a Minnesota team that’s much better at shooting 3s than Iowa. NU will have to make adjustments for the Golden Gophers’ personnel and style of play, but Collins and his team do have one motivational edge: the spoiler effect.

The Cats dealt a hefty blow to the Hawkeyes’ NCAA tournament resume by beating them. For a potential bubble team like Minnesota, already with 10 losses and lacking signature wins, a defeat to an inferior opponent like NU could be the final nail in the coffin.

“We have an opportunity to play a lot of those teams that are fighting for postseason berths,” Collins said. “We still feel we have a lot to play for. As long as there are games to play, you can always get better.”

Twitter: @BobbyPillote