Evanston awarded $88K grant to encourage safe routes to schools

Paige Leskin, City Editor

Evanston will receive $88,000 in federal funding as part of a state program to create a safer environment for children to walk and bike to school, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn announced Saturday.

The money awarded to Evanston will allow officials to install solar-powered signs that display vehicle speeds near designated school crossings.

A $5.9 million investment from the federal government will allow Quinn’s office to create Illinois Safe Routes to School, according to a news release.

The program, administered by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration, aims to improve public safety across the state, according to the release. By making it safer and easier for children to walk and bike to school, the program encourages a healthy lifestyle and alternative transportation that is better for the environment.

“Students deserve to feel safe while traveling to and from school every day,” Quinn said in the news release. “The Safe Routes to School program will help communities improve public safety to keep students safe and promote healthy habits like walking and biking to school.”

To ensure the program’s success, the Illinois Department of Transportation will provide communities with training and education about ways students can safely get to school.

The funding will go toward 58 projects statewide that promote public safety, including efforts such as sidewalk construction and traffic sign improvements.

Email: paigeleskin2017@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @paigeleskin