Ahead of winter, Evanston starts campaign for snow preparedness

Nathan Richards/Daily Senior Staffer

Snow falls outside of Norris University Center on Monday night. Ahead of the upcoming 2014-15 winter, Evanston started a campaign called Snow Awareness Week on Monday to secure community members’ preparedness for the snowfall.

Paige Leskin, City Editor

City staff launched a campaign Monday to ensure Evanston residents are prepared and informed for the upcoming winter, which is forecasted to bring below-normal temperatures and above-normal levels of snow to the Chicago area.

A joint effort between the city manager’s office and the public works department, the Snow Awareness Week is meant to act as a reminder to residents and businesses of their winter responsibilities, according to memo addressed to City Council on Monday.

The awareness initiative comes after Evanston’s record snowfall last winter. A series of snowstorms brought in a measured 90.9 inches of snow, public works director Suzette Robinson said in March in a presentation to City Council.

The city spent about $1.3 million in snow removal, which highly surpassed the $685,000 set aside in the city budget, Robinson said.

For the 2014-15 season, winter in the Chicago area is projected to bring more snow and colder temperatures than usual, according to the 2015 edition of The Old Farmer’s Almanac.

The city is mailing a bilingual message to its community members that includes information on snow preparedness, according to the memo to council. Developed by the city’s citizen engagement team, it consists of details on snow removal operations, parking regulations and sidewalk shoveling.

The city is also encouraging people to sign up for notifications via email or text message to alerts them to snow parking regulations, which go into effect on Dec. 1. When snow is on the ground, drivers are prohibited from parking in certain areas in order to make room for plowing and salting trucks, according to the city’s site.

The Citizen Engagement Team will also create a social media presence through videos and graphics focused on snow awareness, according to the memo.

The awareness week will last until Friday.

Twitter: @paigeleskin