Northwestern ranks 38th in annual sexual health ranking

Olivia Exstrum, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern ranked 38th on the Trojan Sexual Health Report Card this year, dropping eight spots from 2013, according to a news release from the condom brand. The study, sponsored by Trojan and conducted by Sperling’s BestPlaces, ranks universities on “accessibility of sexual health resources and information available to students on campus,” Trojan said in the release.

“Of all the advantages that participating in the Trojan survey provides, perhaps the most beneficial component is spurring the motivation for innovation,” said Courtney Weaver, assistant director of health promotion at Florida Atlantic University, in the release. “Our overall goal for sexual health education is to deliver it in a fun, engaging manner while still promoting healthy and responsible decision making.”

This is the ninth year of the study. Researchers collected information from student health center representatives to grade the centers in 11 categories. The categories included quality of information regarding sexual health, contraceptive and condom availability, HIV and sexually transmitted infection testing and sexual assault related programs.

Oregon State University ranked first in the study among the 140 schools listed.

In addition, a recent Trojan study found that adults ages 18-22 use condoms more frequently than adults ages 23-34 and that younger adults are less likely to have sexually transmitted diseases or scares than older adults, according to the release.

Twitter: @olivesocean