Foundation 65 receives $180K in grants for District 65 schools

Rebecca Savransky, Managing Editor

An educational organization that raises funds to support the Evanston/Skokie School District 65 received $180,000 in grants to help foster art and literacy programming within the district.

The grants, which were awarded to Foundation 65, came from Northwestern and the Lewis-Sebring Family Foundation, the organization announced last week. NU contributed $30,000 to the foundation, which has been committed to fostering innovative arts and literacy initiatives for the past six years.

Lise Jinno, Foundation 65 executive director, said the organization’s mission is to support academic excellence in all schools in District 65. She said she was grateful for the contributions.

“It is only with the help of community partners that we are able to truly make a difference for our schools and the educational opportunities that they provide our students,” Jinno said in a news release.

This is not the first time NU has made a contribution to the organization, she said.

“Northwestern in the past has … provided us with financial support,” she said. “We in turn take that financial support and put it towards arts and literacy.”

During the 2014-15 academic year, Foundation 65 will provide more than $245,000 to support arts and literacy initiatives. The foundation also supports other programs aimed at increasing literacy rates and art integration programs.

Paige Leskin contributed to reporting.

Twitter: @beccasavransky