Michael Szot pleads not guilty to accident-related charges

Rebecca Savransky, Summer Editor

Rising McCormick senior Michael Szot pleaded not guilty Monday to all drunk driving and reckless homicide charges in connection with a car accident last month that killed two passengers, including McCormick senior Mihirtej Boddupalli.

A status hearing is scheduled for Oct. 2, where Szot will be able to change his plea.

​Prosecutors presented nine counts related to multiple charges against Szot on Monday. Szot was initially charged with ​four counts of aggravated driving under the influence and two counts of reckless homicide after he drove a car into a water-filled quarry last month, authorities said.

The accident occurred in Naperville, Illinois on July 19. The car crashed into several trees before landing in Quarry Lake. Szot was able to swim to the shore. All three occupants were transported to Edward Hospital where the two passengers were pronounced dead.

At the time of the accident, Szot had a blood alcohol content of 0.14, a spokesman for the DuPage County State’s Attorney said. The legal limit is 0.08.

Szot also admitted smoking marijuana prior to the accident and was found in possession of a marijuana pipe, according to the office of Robert Berlin, the State’s Attorney of DuPage County​.

Szot’s lawyer could not be reached for comment Monday.

Correction: ​An earlier version of this story misstated the number of counts against Szot. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @beccasavransky