Norris plans to add gender open bathroom to Underground

Tyler Pager, Assistant Summer Editor

Norris University Center officials plan to reopen a bathroom on the Underground level of Norris to be used as a gender open restroom

The bathroom is currently used as storage, but Norris executive director Kelly Schaefer said she is working with Facilities Management to determine the cost to renovate the bathroom.

“For us, we’re trying to continue that idea of inclusivity for the building and if we can continue to address different parts of the facility with that inclusiveness, we’re still going to try and do that,” she said. “We had always looked at the Underground to potentially open up that facility because there is an existing bathroom that is down there.”

Schaefer said reopening the restroom would serve all members of the Northwestern community.

It becomes accessible for many,” she said. “If we can open up the restroom on the lower level, that gives us another service point to have folks use facilities on the lower level.”

There is no timeline for the completion of this project.

Last month, Norris announced the third-floor bathrooms would be converted to gender open restrooms. Because these bathrooms will not undergo any structural changes, the transition will be complete before Fall Quarter starts.

(Norris to add gender open restrooms to third floor)

Gender open restrooms are also planned for the new parking structure adjacent to the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center and the new Kellogg School of Management building.

Twitter: @tylerpager