Aldermen approve liquor license for Evanston’s first nanobrewery

Paige Leskin, Assistant City Editor

City Council authorized a special liquor license at its meeting Tuesday night for Evanston’s first nanobrewery, despite concerns from neighbors about its location on an alley where residents live.

The license for Sketchbook Brewing Company, 825 Chicago Ave., allows the on-site production and storage of up to 30,000 barrels of beer a year. The business aims to “create a common culture among local craft beer enthusiasts,” according to its website.

However, residents expressed discontent with the entrance of the brewery, which is placed not on the sidewalk, but instead off a side alley.

Nicky Hiltwein said that property owners in the area didn’t know until April that Sketchbook applied in January for a permit, when it was too late to challenge it. Because the brewery was not required by the city to go through a special use zoning process, no public hearing was held. Hiltwein called the situation “sad and disappointing.”

Ald. Melissa Wynne (3rd) said she talked with Sketchbook owners Shawn Decker and Cesar Marron about the concerns from residents about having a business in an alley. The owner agreed to add better lighting to the alley, as well as a video camera to ensure customers do not park there, she said.

“With those additional conditions which I’ve asked the city staff to memorialize, I’m in support of this new type of business,” she said.

Sketchbook raised $25,000 to start its business through a Kickstarter campaign. Decker told aldermen that this demonstrated community support for the brewery in Evanston. He said he plans to support and contribute to the Evanston community as a new neighbor.

The brewery is scheduled to open in the summer.

Twitter: @paigeleskin