ASG allots more than $1 million to A-status groups

Nathan Richards/Daily Senior Staffer

Associated Student Government discusses A-status funding at the meeting Wednesday. Senate allotted more than $1 million to student groups.

Rebecca Savransky, Campus Editor

Associated Student Government confirmed funding for A-status groups Wednesday, allotting more than $1 million dollars to more than 30 student groups.

Weinberg sophomore Mackenzie Schneider, ASG financial vice president, presented a short overview of the funding and interview process that occurred when creating the funding recommendations prior to beginning the cut and add rounds.

“All groups came in for 15-minute interviews and walked us through, event by event, what they’re asking for funding for,” Schneider said. “We all are looking forward to encourage and enhance student group programming.”

ASG went through two add rounds and one cut round, during which several groups received additional funds.

In the first add round, members of the South Asian Student Alliance motioned to add $4,015 to its speaker honorarium. In an effort to allot funds fairly, members of the Student Activities Financial Committee explained their decision to decrease the number, and senators voted against giving the group the additional funds. When SASA requested $763 to go toward the group’s speaker in the second round of adds, Senate granted the additional funds.

Members of the Student Activities Financial Committee emphasized that they fund event by event.

Representatives from Unity motioned to add $4,600 for sight and sound, which was approved.

Northwestern Community Development Corps was given an additional $1,750 toward the group’s annual Project Pumpkin event. The added funds will go toward candy, which the SAFC does not normally fund. NCDC co-chair Julia Coppelman, a Weinberg senior, talked about the event, noting it brings children to trick or treat and celebrate Halloween in Norris University Center.

“Candy is an essential part of Project Pumpkin,” Coppelman said. “We’re asking for $1,750. We use up all that candy every year. Many of the kids who come … are unable to trick or treat in their neighborhoods because of safety concerns.”

The Fiedler Hillel Center also requested additional funds for its spring speaker honorarium, which representatives said was a huge success this year. A&O Productions also received additional funds.

At the end of the funding process, Senate was left with more than $45,000 in the Senate amendment pool, which will be given to groups as supplementary funds. 

ASG also tabled legislation that would reform the makeup of residential senators in an effort to give more time to discuss with the Residential College Board and the Residential Hall Association. The legislation will be discussed at next week’s meeting on June 4.

“Both of those groups have come to us and asked that we table it for one week to talk more about how we can incorporate their views into our end goal, creating more direct accountability,” said SESP sophomore Chris Harlow, student life vice president.

Legislation was passed regarding the creation of three working groups that will analyze the use of CTECs. The working groups will each have a different purpose and will include students, faculty and administrators. The groups will be required to present their findings to ASG by December in an effort to improve CTECs.

Senators also proposed an off-campus senator working group, which will include the speaker, parliamentarian, chief of staff, community relations vice president and interested members in the current off-campus caucus. The working group will address off-campus senator recruitment, retention and the selection process for off-campus senators. The legislation was moved to old business and passed immediately.

Twitter: @beccasavransky