Report details economic development in first quarter of 2014

Paige Leskin, Assistant City Editor

Evanston released its 2014 first quarter economic report on Monday, highlighting the opening of 10 businesses and the approval of more than $45 million in commercial construction spending.

The report from the Economic Development Division broke down the city’s actions into various statistics and initiatives the division has focused on in the first three months of 2014.

The report showed Evanston’s unemployment rate at 6 percent in March — 0.7 percent below the national level and significantly lower than Illinois’ rate of 8.3 percent. The city continued its effort to increase the workforce by announcing new programs that called for an additional 92 jobs.

Northwestern played a role in Evanston’s economy with its construction activity. The construction on campus, including the new building for the Kellogg School of Management, has accounted for $17 million in commercial construction activity. The city and the University partnered to create 25 jobs in construction for residents in a new Workforce Development Program.

Among the 10 businesses that came to Evanston in the first quarter were DMK Burger Bar, 815 Noyes St., and Peckish Pig, 623 Howard St. Peckish Pig became the city’s first brewpub after a “long awaited opening,” the report said.

The city also launched a series of classes in March to help develop emerging small businesses. Called NextChapter Evanston, the program attracted 70 participants in its first month.

The Economic Development Division provides the public with a report each quarter in accordance with it’s goals of redeveloping communities and creating more employment opportunities.

Twitter: @paigeleskin