Cooking and Recipes: Chicken chimichangas with chunky guacamole

Benjamin Kraft/The Daily Northwestern

Benjamin Kraft, Recipe Blogger

The awful moment when I realized the 40-degree weather was not here to stay was somewhat dulled by the delighted realization that I would once again be able to appreciate a hot dish to its fullest utility. That’s right Economics 202, I see you. With a quick trip to Whole Foods Market or Jewel-Osco and a few pots and pans, it’s easy to make a delicious dinner in your dorm or apartment. This week, I took over the kitchen in Allison Hall to make this simple yet tasty and satisfying dish.

Last week’s minestrone soup recipe was awesome and cheap, but I wanted something to really sink my teeth into this week. I decided to go with this quick chimichanga recipe. From my limited understanding of the dish’s history, it appears to be a burrito that is fried until crispy  and take it from a Southern boy: Frying food makes most anything better (Oreos, especially Oreos).

Two quick additional notes:

1. Yes, frying. It seems a little scary, but it’s actually quite simple. Just don’t touch the oil and you should be fine. I actually used a fairly shallow pan and didn’t have any splatter or real oil-spill issues.

2. The chicken can be seasoned with anything you want, or nothing at all, but keep in mind the other flavors of the dish from the cheese, salsa, guac, beans, etc. I happened to have cumin, basil and paprika lying around so I just put a dash here, a pinch there and half a skosh to top it all off. 

Serves 8 | Hands-on time: 30 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes | Source: Allrecipes

Chunky guacamole:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup chopped roma tomatoes
  • 2 cloves minced garlic

Directions:

1. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic and lime juice in a medium bowl.
  2. Stir in mashed avocados until desired consistency.

Chicken chimichangas:

Ingredients:

• 4 cups shredded roasted chicken
  • 3/4 cup rice (cooked)
  • Cheese (amount/type up to you, I used a pre-made “Mexican style” mix)

Directions:

1. Combine chicken, black beans, 1/2 cup salsa, cheese, rice and cilantro in a large bowl and mix well.
  2. Place 1/2-1 cup of the chicken mixture just below center of each tortilla.
  3. Fold bottom edge of each tortilla up and over filling. Fold opposite sides in and over filling. Roll up and secure with wooden toothpicks.
  4. Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil over medium heat.
  5. Fry filled tortillas, a few at a time, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, crispy and heated through, turning once.
  6. Drain on paper towels. Serve chimichangas with guac, additional salsa, cheese and sour cream.