Mathematics professors win Sloan Research Fellowships

Rosalie Chan, Reporter

Two mathematics professors received 2014 Sloan Research Fellowships, which are given to early-career scientists and scholars for their achievements and potential to contribute to their fields.

Drs. Nir Avni and Aaron Naber were two of the 126 people awarded the $50,000 fellowship from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation this year.

The fellowships, which have been awarded every year since 1955, were given to scholars chosen from 61 colleges and universities in the United States and Canada.

Avni focuses on group theory, specifically arithmetic and algebraic groups.  He also researches representation theory, abstract algebraic structures and motivic integration, which is a branch of algebraic geometry.

Naber’s research focuses on geometrically motivated equations and their applications, especially the manifolds with Ricci curvature bounds and their possible degenerations in limit spaces.  Naber will also speak at the 2014 International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul, South Korea.

The fellowships are given in eight scientific and technical fields: chemistry, computer science, economics, mathematics, evolutionary and computational molecular biology, neuroscience, ocean sciences and physics. Peers can nominate potential fellows, and an independent panel of senior scholars selects the fellowship recipients.

Twitter: @rosaliech1