Kellogg to start new MBA program with Peking University in Beijing

Rosalie Chan, Reporter

The Kellogg School of Management announced a new partnership last week with Peking University that will create a new degree program to expand the business school’s network and teach students about China’s role in the global economy.

Kellogg Dean Sally Blount and Hongbin Cai, dean of the Peking University’s Guanghua School of Management, announced the partnership Feb. 17. The program is called the Guanghua-Kellogg Executive Master of Business Administration Program.

“We want to definitely educate and equip leaders from across our network,” said Greg Hanifee, associate dean of executive MBA programs. 

The program will begin in September. Applications are currently being accepted. 

The program seeks applicants who are executives with eight to 10 years of work experience, including Chinese nationals and international executives who either live and work in China or want to learn more about doing business there.

During the 22-month program, students will travel between China and the U.S., taking short courses in each location. Based in Peking University’s main campus in Beijing and its facility in Shanghai, the program offers week-long segments to decrease travel time for Kellogg students and faculty.  In addition, Peking students will take classes at Kellogg with other students in the global network, and they can take electives at Kellogg’s four other global partner schools.

The program will be integrated into Kellogg’s Executive MBA Global Network.  Kellogg has also partnered with the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in China, Tel Aviv University in Israel, WHU in Germany and York University in Canada, in addition to its own programs in Chicago and Miami.

Kellogg has had a 15-year relationship with Guanghua, Hanifee said, and the partnership has included the exchange of MBA students.

“Because Guanghua has had an excellent reputation in China and Asia, it has led to a discussion on how we can deepen the relationship,” Hanifee said.

The Guanghua-Kellogg Executive MBA Program will focus on trends and opportunities, analytical skills, globalization and understanding stakeholders.

Kellogg student Adebola Adetunji learned about the program from his professor in a Kellogg class.

“I think it’s a smart move,” Adetunji said. “From what I’ve heard, it’s one of China’s top schools.  China is now a superpower. It brings professors here to understand Asian markets because the world is changing, and the economy is global.”

Kellogg student Sid Bhatia believes the program will be valuable in teaching students about new cultures, as well as about the global market.

“An exchange program allows you to experience a new culture,” Bhatia said. “I’m from India, so I know how academic environments change from the Asia to the U.S. I think definitely China is a country people want to learn about with its global market.”

Twitter: @rosaliech1