Five shows that should have ended before they did

These shows all have something in common. They all used to be great shows. Then something happened. They got bad. They started recycling jokes, running out of story lines or just becoming too painful to watch. These are shows that should have ended when they were good instead of limping along painfully for networks to squeeze a few more dollars out of them.

5. “The Office” (2005-2013) 

I feel bad putting “The Office” on this list because, truthfully, I enjoyed every season. But that doesn’t change the fact that the show definitely started to go downhill in its later seasons, especially after the exit of Steve Carell. It became guilty of recycling jokes and running out of fresh material. I still found it funny though, and I will always love Jim and Pam. Also, the dynamic between Dwight and Jim remained one of the best on television.

4. “How I Met Your Mother” (2005-present)

“How I Met Your Mother” is higher up on the list because it’s finally ending in its ninth season. “HIMYM” used to be great. Tagged as “a love story in reverse,” the main character narrated to his children how he met their mother. But the show dragged on and on and didn’t even introduce us to the mother until season nine. The show forgot its purpose, becoming repetitive and just not as funny anymore. It should’ve ended at least three seasons ago.

3. “The Vampire Diaries” (2009-present) 

The first two seasons of “The Vampire Diaries” were excellent, especially for a CW show. It had great acting and awesome writing. It moved quickly and had so many plot twists. It was great. And then it added too many characters and love triangles, got too complicated and just became no longer enjoyable to watch. The show doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere anytime soon. “Vampy Ds” has been renewed for a sixth season and has a spinoff called “The Originals.”

2. “The Big Bang Theory” (2007-present)

People have always had issues with “The Big Bang Theory.” It’s been accused of being misogynistic and disrespectful. I used to like the show quite a lot before I realized how problematic it is. The main female character, Penny, doesn’t even have a last name. She’s a typical attractive airhead, and when contrasted with the intelligent Amy, both women show the incredibly insulting theory that women can either be attractive or intelligent. Also, nerds are always the butt of the joke in “TBBT.” It’s the age of geek culture, and “TBBT” tries to beat it down. Please just cancel the show instead of heaping it with awards.

1. “Glee” (2009-present) 

Season one of “Glee” was amazing. The show was revolutionary, hilarious and heartbreaking. Detailing the lives of a hodgepodge group of students in rural Ohio, it had strong characters and great dancing. It rejuvenated the music industry. If a song was on “Glee,” the next day both the cover and the original were on iTunes charts. The program had sold-out tours and millions of downloads. But then “Glee” lost its way. It became a parody of what it used to be. The quirkiness that made the show unique became amplified to the eleventh degree, making the show obnoxious. “Glee” dropped too many storylines and added too many characters. It’s finally ending this year, in its sixth season.

Twitter: @MollieCahillane