Watching the Olympics? Go figure!

Aditi Bhandari, Blogger

Let’s face it. We’ve all done it.

Whether in socks on a hardwood floor, as a kid on wheelies or even on the ice rink at Norris University Center, we’ve all pretended to be a pro figure skater at some point in our lives.

With the 2014 Sochi Olympics unfolding like a train wreck right before our eyes, figure skating events are the one redeeming factor. It’s possibly the only reason for anyone who isn’t a winter sports enthusiast to actually watch the Games, both for the graceful athleticism that the skaters possess and the great music to which they perform.

Most figure skating songs seem to fall into the following categories: classical Western music, Disney soundtracks and pop/rock hits that everybody recognizes. Though some viewers may call for change in this formulaic approach, I personally have no problem with it. In fact, I appreciate the performances even more when I can predict the musical pattern and see how their gestures align with each musical flourish.  Will I ever be able to do a “triple salchow” an “axel jump,” a “lutz” or even a “twizzle”? Will I ever get farther than five feet on the ice without falling? Probably not. But with this music, at least I can pretend I can. And now, so can you.

So even if you’re not training to represent your country at the next Winter Olympics, do keep this playlist in mind. That way, you’ll still feel like a star even when you slip six times on your way to Tech.

1. “Boléro” – Maurice Ravel

2. “Bohemian Rhapsody” – Queen

3. “Singin’ In The Rain” – Gene Kelly

4. “The Pink Panther Theme” – Henry Mancini

5. “Kashmir” – Led Zeppelin

6. “Ain’t No Sunshine” – Bill Withers

7. “Tequila” – The Champs

8. “Fantaisie-Impromptu” – Frédéric Chopin

9. “Let It Go” – Idina Menzel

10. “Circle of Life” – The Lion King Soundtrack

11. “Rolling In The Deep” – Adele

12. “Hip Hip Chin Chin” – Club Des Belugas

13. “Smooth” –  Santana Feat. Rob Thomas

14. “Unchained Melody” – The Righteous Brothers

15. “Don’t Stop Believin’” – Journey

16. “Rhapsody In Blue” – George Gershwin

Watching the Olympics? Go figure! from The Current NU on 8tracks Radio.

Twitter: @Extra_Spice