Two-time gold medalist, Chicago native aims for more gold

Lydia Ramsey, Web Editor

Chicago native Shani Davis is competing over the next two weeks in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Davis began competing as a member of the Evanston Speedskating Club when he was six years old. This is his third Olympics; he brought home gold and silver medals in 1000- and 1500-meter speedskating events, respectively, at both the 2006 and 2010 Winter Games.

Davis grew up on the south side of Chicago but later moved to the north side to be closer to Evanston’s rink, located at the Robert Crown Community Center and Ice Complex, 1701 Main St.

Davis placed 22nd and 24th in the men’s 500-meter races on Monday. Following his first of three events, Davis tweeted, “very happy with speed & feel in 500 today. two solid races & moving in right direction for 1000 on wed. Can history repeat, again???”

Davis currently holds the record in both the 1000 and 1500 meter events.

There will be a viewing party Wednesday at Chicago’s Sol Cafe, 1615 W. Howard St., to watch Davis compete in the 1000-meter races. He will also compete in the 1500-meter race, which will take place Saturday.

Email: lydiaramsey2015@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter:
@lydiaramsey125

About the Writer
Lydia Ramsey, Managing Editor
Lydia is a Medill senior studying journalism and Middle East and North African studies. Her past Daily positions include web editor, copy chief and slot editor. She has also worked as a public affairs intern at AbbVie, a biopharmaceutical company, for two summers and was a producer for Rivet News Radio in spring 2014. She is from Park...