Northwestern recognized for emergency readiness

Tyler Pager, Assistant Campus Editor

The National Weather Service presented Northwestern with a special award last week for a high level of emergency preparedness for storm-related crises. 

University Police and other NU leaders were presented Jan. 28 with a plaque and a “StormReady University” logo.

“With this recognition, Northwestern University has achieved a very important level of readiness in protecting students, faculty and staff from severe weather,” said Edward Fenelon, meteorologist in charge of the NWS Chicago/Romeoville office. “StormReady communities are better prepared to take the right actions to save lives when severe weather strikes … This preparedness comes about through better planning, education and awareness of weather hazards.” 

Fenelon said NU’s 24-hour warning system, emergency operations center, system that monitors weather conditions and formal hazardous weather plan all contribute to successful emergency readiness.

NU has had its fair share of weather-related issues this winter. The first two days of Winter Quarter were cancelled due to nearly two feet of snow and record-low temperatures. 

Email: tylerpager2017@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @tylerpager

About the Writer
Tyler Pager, Editor in Chief
Tyler Pager is a Medill junior studying journalism and political science. His past positions at The Daily include managing editor, campus editor, In Focus editor and breaking news editor. The New York native previously worked for USA TODAY, Medill Watchdog and the Medill News Service in Washington. This summer, he is working at POLITICO. You...