Northwestern recognized for emergency readiness

Tyler Pager, Assistant Campus Editor

The National Weather Service presented Northwestern with a special award last week for a high level of emergency preparedness for storm-related crises. 

University Police and other NU leaders were presented Jan. 28 with a plaque and a “StormReady University” logo.

“With this recognition, Northwestern University has achieved a very important level of readiness in protecting students, faculty and staff from severe weather,” said Edward Fenelon, meteorologist in charge of the NWS Chicago/Romeoville office. “StormReady communities are better prepared to take the right actions to save lives when severe weather strikes … This preparedness comes about through better planning, education and awareness of weather hazards.” 

Fenelon said NU’s 24-hour warning system, emergency operations center, system that monitors weather conditions and formal hazardous weather plan all contribute to successful emergency readiness.

NU has had its fair share of weather-related issues this winter. The first two days of Winter Quarter were cancelled due to nearly two feet of snow and record-low temperatures. 

Email: tylerpager2017@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @tylerpager

About the Writer
Tyler Pager, Editor in Chief

Tyler Pager is a Medill junior studying journalism and political science. His past positions at The Daily include managing editor, campus editor, In Focus...