Hong: ADHD medication abuse is insensitive to those who need it

When I tell people I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, they don’t think much of it. A lot of people think it’s funny. A lot of people think it’s just an excuse I made up so I can get an Adderall prescription. To be honest, I usually make it seem like it’s not a big deal. Though I do emphasize ADHD is not something I made up, I do laugh about it because in comparison to other things, it really isn’t a huge deal. It’s not life-threatening, and it’s something I can easily hide from others.

As someone with ADHD, though, it really bothers me when other students who know they don’t have the disorder make up symptoms so that they can get a prescription for “Addy.” I’ve heard a lot of stories from people who said they went to Searle, told them they have such and such symptoms and were given a prescription for Adderall almost instantly. I think that’s what frustrates me the most about ADHD. If they really have the disorder, then fine. But if they don’t, then they’re really using it to cheat.

Someone once described Adderall as “academic steroids” to me, and he’s right. For someone like me, this medication is a life saver. It completely, 180 degrees, changed the way I learn, think, process and focus. Consequently, it also greatly reduced my anxiety from the fact that no matter how much effort I put in, there were times when I absolutely could not get anything done.  However, for someone just making up the symptoms, they’re really just using it to enhance their academic abilities. How is that any different from athletes taking steroids to enhance their athletic abilities?

People might think, “What’s the big deal?” The big deal is that college students make up these symptoms in order to get the diagnosis. They don’t think it means much. It’s just a way to do better in classes. In reality, an ADHD diagnosis at this age is a rather big deal. Most people actually tend to grow out of their ADHD as they grow older and their brains finish developing. The fact that I still have ADHD at age 20 means I’ll probably never grow out of it. The fact that I still have ADHD at age 20 means it’s something I have to consider when I make decisions about my future, my career, my employer and my environment.

If you’re taking Adderall here and there, fine. You should know it’s illegal to sell or buy it without prescription, but that’s your choice to make and your risk to take. But if you’re making up symptoms to get the diagnosis, you should also understand the full burden of having ADHD at this age.

Kathy Hong is a SESP junior. She can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].