Tribute to Hinman Playlist

Aditi Bhandari, Columnist

Normally, when one thinks of uplifting songs, the music that comes to mind is in a major key; that’s why this instantly stands out. Even though it’s in the key of F minor (the word uncommon is an understatement), it manages to fill you with the sense of determination that will see you through to the end, i.e. you WILL finish your third serving of hot cookies.

2.     Call Me Maybe — Carly Rae Jepsen

This 2012 hit brought the voice of Canada’s latest pop icon, Carly Rae Jepsen, to the world. Even though she has yet to release a follow-up that reaches the same level of popularity, her duet with Owl City on the summer hit “Good Time” proved she wasn’t just a one-hit wonder.

3.     Purple Haze — Jimi Hendrix

“Purple Haze,” also the name of one of NU’s a cappella groups, is easily Jimi Hendrix’s most recognizable song for its iconic opening guitar riff. Don’t worry about looking weird while you’re air-guitaring with your mouth full; chances are everyone around you is doing the same.

4.     Dude (Looks Like A Lady) — Aerosmith

This song from the later half of the 1980’s is probably one of Aerosmith’s most iconic songs ever, exemplified by the fact that they’ve played it in almost every tour since it was released. It was even covered by Shakira. 

5.     We Are Young — Fun. feat. Janelle Monáe

Can you believe this song was released only a little over two years ago? Even though Fun. first enjoyed commercial success quite recently, the universal appeal of “We Are Young” makes it feel like they’ve been around forever.

6.     Edge Of Seventeen — Stevie Nicks

It is impossible for me to listen to this song without thinking of the scene in “School Of Rock” with Jack Black and Joan Cusack. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, go and YouTube that scene right now! This song will transport you back to the good ol’ days when AP tests, SATs and IB submissions were the biggest of our worries.

7. It’s Time — Imagine Dragons

Similar to what “We Are Young” was to Fun., “It’s Time” brought Imagine Dragons the kind of airplay they waited four years for. After the song was featured on “Glee” (the most happening music platform EVER), Imagine Dragons’ popularity skyrocketed, and increased album sales thankfully revealed to us that the band was also capable of more.

8.     Baba O’Riley — The Who

The first few times I heard this song, I was so annoyed by the minute-long synthesizer intro that I skipped straight to the first verse. But when I actually went back and listened to the whole thing in one go, I realized just how vital it is for the song to have that crescendo. Listen to this song if you’re having a bad day and its positive vibes will be an instant pick-me-up, even if they’re singing about a “teenage wasteland!

9.     Roar — Katy Perry

“Roar” is the first single from Katy Perry’s latest studio album “Prism,” and even though it sounds like a mash-up of her earlier release “Firework” and Sara Bareilles’ “Brave,” it still has a positive message. Even if critics did say it was more of a yelp than a roar …

10. Where The Streets Have No Name — U2

Another song with a pretty long but necessary instrumental intro, “Where The Streets Have No Name” is most famous for its video. Tens of thousands of U2 fans showed up in downtown LA when word of an impromptu rooftop performance went viral (in 1987). Makes you wish you were born a little earlier, am I right?

11. Don’t Stop Believin’ — Journey

I urge you all to not be as self-conscious as I am and to follow your heart, bursting out into song when it tells you to. This is the kind of song that demands to be sung along to, and I truly regret the moment I missed the opportunity to do so while standing near the salad bar.

12. Sultans Of Swing — Dire Straits

There’s a rumor that Mark Knopfler wrote this song when he was just thirteen years old, which strikes doubt into the heart of every Bienen kid I mention it to. Thankfully, there aren’t any official sources that can verify the rumor, so feel free to enjoy it without questioning your life choices.

13. Stairway To Heaven — Led Zeppelin

Though this starts off fairly subdued and may be difficult to hear over the regular Hinman noise, just wait for the drums to kick in over the guitar solo and you will not be disappointed. And since it’s almost nine minutes long, if you’re grabbing a quick meal then you may find that it’s the only song you listen to. And that, my friends, is far from a problem.

14. Don’t You (Forget About Me) — Simple Minds

Even though it’s been almost 30 years since “The Breakfast Club” was released, the movie has stayed relevant, as has its iconic ending theme song. The image of Judd Nelson striding across the football field with his fist high in the air will be forever ingrained in my mind; it is truly an image that defined a generation.

15. You Can’t Always Get What You Want — Rolling Stones

In an unfortunate yet amusing coincidence, this song played at the moment I found out we had run out of waffle batter. ‘Twas a sad day for me, but I let it go because as the title of this song states, you can’t always get what you want.

16. T.N.T. — AC/DC

There’s nothing cooler than strutting down the aisle in time with the guitar riff with a bowl of Lucky Charms in one hand and a cookie in the other. Don’t believe me? Try it out for yourself and see how badass it can make you feel. (Tip: For more elevated levels of badassery, wear a leather jacket/boots/both).