Associated Student Government Senate approves more than $10K for student groups

Sarah Nelson/Daily Senior Staffer
ASG speaker Katie Funderburg prompts the audience about funding for various student groups. ASG approved more than $10,000 for B- and T-status groups at its meeting Wednesday night.

Associated Student Government Senate approved more than $10,000 to fund B- and T-status groups at its meeting Wednesday.

Of the $10,430 it approved, Senate allotted $950 to ReFresH dance team, making it the group receiving the most money of the 52 B- and T-status groups that requested ASG funding this quarter.

International Student Association and Dance Marathon were the only two groups to receive funding beyond what was recommended by the Student Groups Committee, which makes funding recommendations for all B- and T-status groups.

Senators voted to approve $300 more than the SGC suggested for ISA in order to fund the group’s formal.

Senate approved $200 beyond the amount SGC recommended for DM to fund tents for its annual fundraiser. DM spokesman David Harris requested the amount, saying the group deserved the additional money because it does not fit well into the B-status category, citing the large number of students who participate in the philanthropy.

He said DM does not fit cleanly into either the B-status category or the much higher-funded A-status category.

“I think we meet all the criteria that qualify us as an A-status group,” the SESP senior said. “But we won’t accept the revenue-sharing component of us having to give back some of the money that we earn to ASG.”

Student groups vice president Neel Lalkiya said his committee didn’t approve all the money DM requested based on the standards used to recommend funding for B-status groups.

“Dance Marathon should be able to find funding for themselves as a great, well-organized organization on campus,” the Weinberg senior said. “But that being said, we fully support Dance Marathon.”

Senate will vote on A-status funding next week.

Senate in brief:

• approved more than $10,000 in funding for B- and T-status groups
  • introduced A-status funding recommendations, which will be voted on next week
  • introduced legislation to be voted on next week that would approve $150 to bring therapy dogs to Norris University Center the day before finals start as a fundraiser for Relay for Life
  • brainstormed ideas for Senate reform in small groups
  • introduced legislation that would create a working group to assess the needs of student groups

Twitter: @SophiaBollag