Gameday playlist: Northwestern vs. Minnesota

Aditi Bhandari, Columnist

Wildcats! Get ready to don your face-paint, shake your keys and proceed to lose your voice after a whole day (or week) of yelling the Fight Song. October 19 heralds one of the first major events that can draw a larger crowd than hot cookie bar; that’s right, it’s GAMEDAY!

Honestly, as an international student, I have yet to understand the true meaning of game day, Homecoming or even American football itself. However, on the multiple occasions people have tried to explain them to me, the one thing that stands out is immeasurable levels of school spirit. So obviously, I imagine Saturday to be one giant purple dance party that culminates in an entire stadium of raised claws. And let’s face it, any dance party is incomplete without a pumped-up playlist, and football wouldn’t be half as interesting without the crowd feeling ready to FIGHT.

1. I Love It – Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX

Love it or hate it, they don’t care. “I Love It” is a staple at dance parties and it doesn’t look like its fan following will ebb anytime soon.

2. Wake Me Up – Avicii

Even though it starts off on a more mellow almost-folksy tone than the rest of the songs in this playlist, do not be fooled. The electric dance breakdown at frequent intervals will leave no feet on the ground.

3. Barbra Streisand – Duck Sauce

NOTHING says impromptu dance party quite like this song, with its complex melodic progression and its simply prophetic lyrics. Shuffling is mandatory.

4. Die Young – Ke$ha

Even though Ke$ha won’t be headlining the A&O Blowout this year, we remain in fervent hope that she will one day in the next four years.

5. Professional Griefers – Deadmau5 ft. Gerard Way

Bringing together the best of house and alt-rock, the video of this song features an epic showdown between giant robots! GUYS! If that isn’t a metaphor for the game, I don’t know what is.

6. Sweet Nothing – Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch

Calvin Harris doesn’t wait around. The song starts immediately in the middle of a crescendo that gradually builds with layer upon layer of almost visceral electro-beats and shatters into an anthem that’s impossible to not fist-pump or headbang to.

7. Dancing In The Street – David Bowie and Mick Jagger

Twerk while you’re tailgating. Break it down in the bleachers. Shake it like you shake your keys. These are the (paraphrased) words of two of the gods of British music.

8. Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton

The piano that forms the backbone of the tune is probably what made this the most recognizable song of 2013.

9. Dog Days Are Over – Florence + The Machine

Try to listen to this song without clapping to the beat and/or jumping around like a crazy person. I dare you.

10. I’ll Make A Man Out Of You – “Mulan” Soundtrack

Anyone who listens to this song and claims to remain unenthused about fighting the Huns Gophers is lying.

11. Happy As Can Be – Cut Off Your Hands

A prime example of New Zealand indie rock, the rolling drumbeats and clanging piano are bound to raise even the laziest fans to their feet.

12. Ours – The Bravery

This is one of those anthemic songs that just doesn’t sound right if it’s not blasting in your ears at full volume or through stadium speakers.

13. Closer To The Edge – 30 Seconds To Mars

This absolute TSUNAMI of sound waves epitomizes the kind of energy a Duracell bunny would be jealous of. Drumming up latent energy throughout the beginning of the song and ending with an explosion of sound, Jared Leto knows exactly what’s up.

14. We Are The Champions – Queen

No football game should end without Freddie Mercury proclaiming victory. That is all.

— Aditi Bhandari