Women’s Tennis: Cats post strong results across the board at Wildcat Invitational

Alex Putterman, Assistant Sports Editor

Northwestern started its season strong over the weekend, winning two singles and one doubles title and finishing second in three singles and one doubles flight at the Wildcat Invitational in Evanston.

The tournament, which included players from 11 different schools including NU, ran from Friday through Sunday at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center. The Cats were by far the most successful squad at the event.

In the singles draw, NU senior Veronica Corning defeated sophomore teammate Alicia Barnett to claim one championship. Freshman Manon Peri won a title in another flight, topping Kentucky’s Kirsten Lewis 6-2, 4-6, 6-2.

In addition to Barnett, senior Belinda Niu and freshman Jillian Rooney finished second in their respective flights.

The doubles team of Corning and freshman Brooke Rischbieth was NU’s most successful duo. The pair won its flight Sunday, defeating Niu and Peri 6-3. Freshman Maddie Lipp and senior Nida Hamilton also advanced deep into the draw, falling to Niu and Peri, and Barnett and junior Lok Sze Leung played well in the consolation draw after losing their first match Friday.

The Cats play next on Thursday in Ann Arbor, Mich., in qualifying for the ITA Midwest Regionals.

— Alex Putterman

About the Writer
Alex Putterman, Web Editor

Alex is a Medill senior studying journalism. He has written for The Daily’s sports desk since his first quarter at NU. His past positions at The Daily...