Holthus earns national player of the week honors

Annabel Edwards/Daily Senior Staffer
Senior outside hitter Stephanie Holthus prepares to serve. Holthus earned Sports Imports/AVCA Division I National Player of the Week Tuesday.

Senior outside hitter Stephanie Holthus earned Sports Imports/AVCA Divison I National Player of the Week on Tuesday for her performance in last week’s Wildcat Classic. The award comes a day after Holthus took home Big Ten Player of the Week honors.

Holthus recorded 6.2 kills and 4.1 digs per set during Northwestern’s run in the tournament, which included wins over South Florida, Miami (Ohio) and IUPUI.  The senior notched a double-double in all three matches, and the Wildcats won the tournament after dispatching the Jaguars in straight sets.

Against South Florida, Holthus put up a career-high 24 digs and 27 kills — one short of her best — and helped the Cats rally from a 0-2 hole. Her 24 kills against Miami (Ohio) were the most by an NU player since Iwona Lodzik recorded 22 against North Carolina in 2003.

This is only the second time in program history that a Cat has won Sports Imports/AVCA Divison I National Player of the Week. Erika Lange earned the award in 2003.

— Dan Ryan