Evanston lifeguards rescue man after boat sinks

Evanston lifeguards rescued a man after his boat sank Tuesday morning in Lake Michigan. The incident happened about a mile and a half off the coast of the Northwestern campus, according to the city.

Patrick Svitek/Daily Senior Staffer

Patrick Svitek/Daily Senior Staffer

Patrick Svitek, Summer Editor

Evanston lifeguards rescued a man whose boat sunk Tuesday morning off the coast of the Northwestern campus in Lake Michigan.

The Evanston Lakefront Lifeguard Rescue Team was opening its office at about 9:30 a.m. when it received a mayday call from the man, according to the city. He was already in the water about a mile and a half from the shore of campus, and the lifeguards later reported they could hardly hear him over his radio due to crashing waves.

Two lifeguard supervisors launched a rescue boat and followed a “trail of debris” to find the man, who was in a yellow life jacket and waving his arms, the city said. He was taken to dry land and did not need to be hospitalized.

Why the man’s boat sunk is under investigation.

“The City of Evanston is proud of the many employees who risk their lives every day to save people in trouble,” the city wrote in a Facebook post.

Patrick Svitek

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor

Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant...